[Freetype] /Fullname in type 1 fonts

From: Anthony Feick
Subject: [Freetype] /Fullname in type 1 fonts
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:23:50 -0500

Our program uses the "FullName" of a font to match up fonts across platforms (ie across font managers).

Since freetype doesn't expose the FullName we've been using the FamilyName + Stylename. This has worked until now:

/FullName (Helvetica 55 Roman) readonly def
/FamilyName (Helvetica Neue) readonly def
/FontName /HelveticaNeue-Roman def

and

/FullName (Helvetica 53 Extended) readonly def
/FamilyName (Helvetica Neue) readonly def
/FontName /HelveticaNeue-Extended def

Both of these fonts end up with the FamilyName + Stylename being
"Helvetica Neue Regular"

I suppose I can open up the file and look for the /FullName tag, but that seems ugly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there an easy way to get to the T1_FontInfo object that has the real Fullname?

-Tony