Re: [Freetype] what is the best format for fonts storage/distribution?

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: [Freetype] what is the best format for fonts storage/distribution?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:08:18 -0400

At 2:06 PM +0400 8/20/02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
a) why there are no fonts in OpenType formats?

Because only recently (Windows 2000 & Mac OS X) did the major OS platforms start supporting it w/o the need for add-ons (eg. Adobe Type Manager).

b) why Monotype decided to offer new fonts in PostScript format only?

Good question!! Personally it seems like a backwards move to me, since everyone (including Adobe!) is moving to TTF/OTF.

But as nowone (from major commercial font vendors) ships OpenType fonts

Adobe is shipping ALL NEW FONTS as OpenType, as well as going back and redoing many of their most popular faces as Extended OpenType (with all the ligatures, etc.)

I  have impressins that there is something wrong with OpenType.
Or I miss something here?

Now that Win2K/ME/XP and Mac OS X are becoming the mainstream, hopefully this will change.

Leonard
Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:address@hidden>
                                             <http://www.lazerware.com>