Re: [Freetype] TTF fonts, charmaps, and Windows

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] TTF fonts, charmaps, and Windows
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:40:19 +0200

"saarbruck at the wheel" wrote:

> When I take a standard MS Windows font such as "Tahoma" and ennumerate the
> charmaps, I get only two:
>
> ft_encoding_apple_roman
> ft_encoding_unicode

Because that is what is really in the font.

> but if I open the font using Microsoft's charmap.exe utility, I get many
> alternate mappings:
>
> Unicode
> DOS: Baltic
> DOS: Central Europe
> { ...more DOS mappings... }
> Windows: Arabic
> Windows: Baltic
> { ...more Windows mappings... }
> Windows: Western

Because Windows allows you to use many other mappings. However, it resolves
it internally, and it accesses only the Unicode encoding in the font.

You can do the the same thing in Windows, using MultiCharToWideChar (or
something like that) API.

> My problem is that I need to access (MS) extended ASCII glyphs such as left
> and right quotation marks and left and right apostrophe, but these don't
> seem to be availible through Freetype by using FT_Select_Charmap,
> FT_Get_Char_Index and FT_Load_Char.

You should be able to access them without any problem, providing you
give their proper Unicode code points, not the codes Windows uses
in the 0x80-0x9F range.

Hope it helps,

Antoine