[Freetype] ft2demos-2.1.2 vs freetype-1.3.1/test

From: Olivier Couet
Subject: [Freetype] ft2demos-2.1.2 vs freetype-1.3.1/test
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:58:19 +0200 (CEST)

 Hi,

 As I said in a previous mail, I am converting a "TT_" application to
"FT_" one. As Werner suggested me I tried to compare the freetype-1 and
freetype-2 demos to guess the correspondence between to 2 packages. I
started with ftview.c. That one is impossible to compare because
ft2demos-2.1.2/src/ftview.c uses the FTC_ functions. I went back to
ft2demos-2.0.2 (the oldest version I found on the web) but still it uses
FTC_. So I tried to compare ftstring.c which doesn't use FTC_. I had not a
lot of success with that either because the program structure as completely
changed between freetype-1 and freetype-2 (I also compare with
ft2demos-2.0.2).

So my question is: "Is there somewhere an example converted from FT1 to
FT2 which has kept its structure ?".

I have done the translation myself, but as I am a beginner in that matter,
what I obtain with FT2 is only ugly characters. It has nothing to do with
the nice smooth characters we see in the string.c demo in
ft2demos-2.1.2/src/. But this demo is quite difficult to use as a model
for my application, because it is far too complicated ie: if you count all
the necessary code it uses (blitter, devices, etc etc .. ) it is several
1000's of lines.

 So I would also be very happy to find a simple "Hello world" like program
which render a FT2 string in an X11 window !

 Thanks in advance for any help.            Olivier

--
Org:    CERN - European Laboratory for Particle Physics.
Mail:   1211 Geneve 23 - Switzerland