Re: [Freetype] point coordinates of glyphs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] point coordinates of glyphs
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 01:27:25 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm trying to code the Rendering of TrueType fonts in java.  The
> point coordinates of some glyphs I read out from the font file are
> pretty weird. When I try to connect these points to get the outline
> of a glyph, it doesn't look very nice. Could it be that the point
> coordinates in the font file produce a weird glyph?

Yes, but usually very unlikely.  There are some CJK fonts which use
bytecode extensively to position subglyphs.

> Does the hinting of glyphs maybe correct these errors of the
> outline?

In most cases, rendering with a high dpi value should produce fine
results without the bytecode interpreter.

> Actually, I don't think that the reading out of the outline points
> is wrong because some of the glyphs look correct and only part of
> them look strange.  Two examples in the simple 1-0 format, which
> haven't been instructed yet:

Have you tested your font against ftview?  Does it produce the same
result?

> Could it really be that the capital 'G' above, which hasn't been
> instructed yet, does look like a capital 'G' after instructing or is
> the error to be found elsewhere (e.g. in the loading)?

Try a much greater dpi to avoid rounding artefacts.