[Freetype] Freeware version of "Arial Unicode" or similar?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Freeware version of "Arial Unicode" or similar?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:38:59 -0700

I am sorry if somebody has asked this question before, and I feel that
somebody has.

I am looking for a freeware font that has support for a large number of
characters in the
Unicode space. In particular, I am looking for a single font that has at
least the following
character sets: Western European, Eastern European, Russian, Chinese,
Japanese,
Korean, and Thai.

Microsoft has a giant font called "Arial Unicode MS" that supports the above
and more.
Is there a decent freeware version of something like this? Are there any
freeware font
projects for stuff like this underway?

Thanks a bunch.