Re: [Freetype] FT Cache

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] FT Cache
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:55:12 +0200

Hello Henry,

address@hidden a écrit :

> The latest docs say that the cache mechanism is still in beta. Is this
> correct? How beta is it? What is planned for the future?

Well it depends :-)

If you're speaking about the cache's high-level API, it is probably final
right now, even if we may add new cache types in the future for the benefit
of all.

Things are different if you wrote custom cache implementations following
the details in the draft www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/cache.html.
Basically, the latest changes in the cache sub-system were source
compatible, but not binary compatible.

This means that if you implemented a custom cache, you'll need to re-compile
your applications (without changing a single bit of its source code) to
make it work with 2.1.2 (moreover, you'll benefit from recent performance
improvements).

Similar changes are to be expected in the future until 2.2 is out. For
example, I'm thinking about performing a few more tuning to improve the
cache behaviour in case of heavy flushes.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner