[Freetype] Re: Freetype digest, Vol 1 #405 - 3 msgs

From: Jon Harrop
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Freetype digest, Vol 1 #405 - 3 msgs
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:47:50 +0100

> > I posted last month lamenting the imability of font systems to support
> > colored alpha blended fonts. [...]
>
> I think the current rasterizer must be mostly rewritten to make
> it able to draw coloured shapes... or at least I don't see a
> simple way to do it. Feel free to contribute :))

I think this should be easy with the existing code if you render using OpenGL.

GLTT uses FreeType to render fonts. With this library you can use bitmap,
pixmap or tesselated contours.

So the easiest way to render textured fonts is to use the tesselated fonts
and get OpenGL to apply a texture for you (using texture coordinate
generation). Alternatively you could use the FreeType rasterizer to get a
pixmap and then use multitexturing to apply texture to the rasterized text.

Cheers,
Jon.