[Freetype] Contours and scaling

From: Jon Harrop
Subject: [Freetype] Contours and scaling
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 02:18:03 +0100

Hi!

I would like to use FreeType to render TrueType and MetaFont text in my
vector graphics engine.

To do this I either need adaptively subdivided contours which are
continuously scalable (i.e. no pixel hinting or integer round-off) or I need
to get hold of the contours as lists of implicit curves (Bezier's, I assume)
so that I can feed them into my own code.

However, I haven't been able to do either of these and, while everything else
is smooth in my test scene, the text currently jerks about all over the place
as you zoom in.

I don't want to use the FreeType rasterizer as I need to apply my own fill
types and stroke and fill the contours.

Is it theoretically possible to do this using FreeType?

Cheers,
Jon.