Re: [Freetype] Re: [Fonts]New versions of mkfontscale and FreeType 2 bac

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: [Fonts]New versions of mkfontscale and FreeType 2 backend
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:30:19 +0200 (CEST)

> RG> (I tested it with Arphic TTF which be distributed with most
> RG> Linux distributions and all *BSD.)

> Hmm, there may be problems with this font; I'm told it has bugs.
> Maybe the FreeType folks can comment?

Yes, Just's ttDump reports a problem with the `glyf' table (and
dies :-) -- all other tables are OK apparently, but I haven't
investigated it in more detail.

> I guess a suitable heuristic would be to decalare all monospaced fonts
> in East-Asian encodings to be charcell.

Indeed, it is rather safe to assume that all CJK glyphs have the same
width.  There do exist fonts with different heights (especially for
typesetting Japanese), but I don't know how this is implemented in the
font since the height is context-dependent.  I believe that vertical
kerning is done by the application and not by the font (please correct
me if this assumption is incorrect).