Re: [Freetype] determining Cyrillic encoding

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] determining Cyrillic encoding
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:36:30 +0100 (CET)

> I have the Freetype 2.0.5 distribution installed.  I would like to
> be be able to look at a TrueType font file and determine whether its
> characters in positions 128-255 represent any of the standard/common
> Cyrillic encodings (CP-1251, KOI8-R, etc).

This is not possible for MS Windows fonts.  Any TT font which has
Cyrillic glyphs in the character slots 0x80-0xFF is a `fake' font,
using an intentionally incorrect CMap.  Doing so was necessary to make
Cyrillic fonts work with non-Cyrillic Windows 3.1.

For the Mac, I'm not sure; a pid/eid pair 1/7 should identify the font
as being Cyrillic (if the font has such a table, of course).