Re: [Freetype] FT_Attach_File, .afm, .pfa, .pfb, etc

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] FT_Attach_File, .afm, .pfa, .pfb, etc
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:17:43 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Ian Britten wrote:

> - Does Freetype provide any support for opening/examining an AFM file?

AFAIK, it does not. The problem you try to solve is beyond the scope of
the library.

> - Is an AFM file of any use by itself (without a PFA/PFB)?

Yes. As long as everything you need is to compute the correct placement of
glyphs on a screen/sheet, you can find all necessary information in AFM.

> - Can/Should more than one AFM be attached to a FT_Face?

Good question. I am not sure the behaviour is defined and documented.
The code I have handy (which is rather old) appears to override an old
set of kerning pairs with a new one when you attach another AFM (or even
the same AFM again) but the old data is not freed...can anyone check
the current code?

> - .afm or .pfm?

I guess PFMs are fonts metrics in some more compact form. Ergo, PFM and
AFM should be less or more equivalent and it would be pointless to attach
them both. Anyway, I do not think FT2 supports PFM.

> - Should the afm file have the same name as the pfa/pfb file?

Yes, they should have the same (base)name but it is a policy issue rather
than a technical one.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."