Re: [Freetype] RE: Freetype digest, Vol 1 #265 - 1 msg

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] RE: Freetype digest, Vol 1 #265 - 1 msg
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 07:24:05 +0100 (CET)

I've CCed the author of HLaTeX, UN Koaunghi, which has similar
problems to reduce the size of PK files.  Maybe he can give a concise
answer.

My own remark: With Hanja, you *can't* reduce the size of such a font
below some Megabytes due to the many thousand ideographic glyphs.
With Hangul, maybe, in combination with clever subglyph handling
(either within the `glyf' table or using `GSUB' and `GPOS').  Fact is
that 99% of daily use is Hangul only; AFAIK, the use of Hanja in daily
life is quite restricted today (mainly to newspapers to quote Asian
names properly and to save some space in headers).

    Werner

Nir:

> My intention is to display Korean fonts on a real time application,
> and font sizes of hundreds of Kbytes are too much for me.
>
> To your knowledge can I display normal Korean fonts (I mean fonts
> that are used normally by Korean on Electronic display, like
> Cellular phones or PDAs) with normal TTF file size (like western
> ones) around 50-100K?  As far as I understood the Sora font will not
> be seem normal to most Korean people?  Do you think of an option for
> a light TTF file that will seem like normal Korean font?

Antoine: