[Freetype] Re: Layout stuff (was Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Layout stuff (was Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:14:06 +0000

Hi Leonard!

As kde-devel already aware of some work I am doing, I will answer just on FT
list.

On Friday 16 November 2001 16:50, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
|   At 07:13 PM 11/16/2001 +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   >I mean, some parts of SVG are really nice (and SVG-based Icons are
|   > floating around me  :-),
|
|            Who uses SVG-based icons?  I know that Nautilus CAN use them,
| but that most of those in normal usage are not.

Yes, Nautilus has 15 files in SVG format which represent "emblems"
So in fact these are not icons but "sub-icons". The rest (around 500 icon
files) is in PNG format.

As you probably know, I did some number of themes for KDE.
I have tried different approaches - from the use of "pixmap everywhere"
(which provides very high detail in visual representation but lacks
flexibility)  to "color-based" approach (great flexibility, low details with
default engines)
Now, I want to add new Icon Sets to Konqueror - using some colors from my KDE
mini-Themes (and keeping original icon design, if I like it)
My idea is that I make one icon is SVG format (call it Prototype) and than
render with different colors/color combination (Lime, Apricot, Citrus, etc.)
Extra benefit of such approach is that you can have easily 64x64 and 128x128
icons.

Anyway, support for SVG icons was added to KDE 3.0 CVS - and I hope, this
feature will be fully functional in KDE 3.0 release.
So, you can expect some SVG icons in upcoming KDE3, which will somehow
challenge both Microsoft [Windows] and Apple [MacOS].  :-)

|   >in the mean time, I found some articles that Microsoft was not willing
|   > to release even IE6 separatly from WinXP.
|
|            That is not true!  I can install IE6 on my Win2K box just
| fine...

Yes. I also have IE6 on Win98 box.
But this was *not warranted* - as MS was going (at the spring 2001 time) to
release IE6 only as a bundle with Windows XP.
This hasn't happened, due to attention to this fact from community and
developers, but there is no warranty that MS will not come out with some kind
of new surprise in the future.
That's what I was meaning.

--

Vadim Plessky