Re: [Freetype] Finding 'high noon' in wingding.ttf

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Finding 'high noon' in wingding.ttf
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 04:12:35 +0200 (CEST)

> when trying to render the 12 o`clock symbol from Microsoft wingding.ttf
> I use the (uni)code 00c2 charactercode.
>
> I am using the following algorithm to find a suitable unicode
> character map:
>
> [...]

Your code is missing the case for MS symbol fonts, i.e., platform = 3
and encoding = 0.

> But the hack, found in some of the examples, does not work either.

Regarding fonts, Microsoft really follows the Unicode specifications
(at least with recent font versions), so it maps its proprietary
characters into the PUA (Private Usa Area), starting at U+F020 for
symbol fonts -- I don't know where MS documents this mapping.  The
`twelveoclock' glyph can be consequently found at position U+F0C2.

> I assume that the charIndex is the offset of the glyph in the
> fontfile and has nothing to do with the encoding in a certain
> operating system.

No.  There is *no* direct relationship between input character codes
and glyph indices.  This is why cmaps have been invented.