[Freetype] Freetype: What are various modules...?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Freetype: What are various modules...?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:50:08 -0700

Freetype 2.04's ftmodule.h has this:

   FT_USE_MODULE(autohint_module_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(cff_driver_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(t1cid_driver_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(pcf_driver_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(psaux_module_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(psnames_module_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(ft_raster1_renderer_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(sfnt_module_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(ft_smooth_renderer_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(tt_driver_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(t1_driver_class)
   FT_USE_MODULE(winfnt_driver_class)

Now I understand how the mechnanism of dynamic drivers
works, but I don't know what each of the drivers
above does. In looking at the code for each of these
drivers there is usually little or no documentation
as to what it actually is. And the seemingly cryptic
prefixes like 't1cid' don't help unless you already
know what 't1cid' means.

So what are each of these drivers? I basically want
to be able to pretty much pare down the drivers so
that Truetype and OpenType are the only drivers present,
as I only need to support these right now and can't
spare the space for the code for other drivers. A little
documentation (like maybe 3 lines of comments) that
explains what each one does and why you might need it
would be useful.

Thanks.