[Freetype] Font distribution woes

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Font distribution woes
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:49:27 -0700

We want to ship TrueType fonts with our app. However, our
licensing agreement with Monotype doesn't allow us to
distribute fonts in a way that the end-users can use. Thus we
can't simply put TrueType font files on the app CD. It seems,
however, that as an alternative we can compile the font files
into our app executable or possibly somehow put the font file
on disk in a way that only our app can use.

Has anybody run into issues like this?

I'm wondering what the best approach is. The easiest thing for
me to do is to somehow modify the font file (and FreeType) so
that the font file has something in it that breaks font readers
(e.g. Windows) other than FreeType. Also, I'd change the font
extension from .ttf  (on Windows) to something else.