Re: [Freetype] freetype vs. freetype1 vs. freetype2

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype vs. freetype1 vs. freetype2
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:28:26 +0200 (CEST)

> I am trying to install NetSaint on RedHat 7.1.  For NetSaint to run
> it needs the GD graphics library.  So in the process of doing that
> it says I need freetype1.  So I downloaded freetype1-1.3.1-2 and
> attempt to install it.  I get an error -- "file /usr/bin/ttmkfdir
> from install of freetype1-1.3.1-2 conflicts with file from frretype
> 1.3.1-5".  I look in the RPM database and see that I have freetype
> 1.3.1-5 installed.  So first of all what is the difference between
> freetype 1.3.1-5 and freetype1-1.3.1-2?  Second how do I get past
> this error?

Well, the problem is that we've never released FreeType 1.4 (due to
lack of time and interest), but we apply patches and bug fixes to the
current CVS version of FreeType 1.  I assume that the RedHat people
simply download an FT1 snapshot from time to time, checking whether
there are differences, and building a new RPM if necessary.
Consequently, I assume that 1.3.1-5 is newer than 1.3.1-2.

Since I don't use RedHat, I can't help to fix the problem.