[Freetype] Question about merged fonts...

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Question about merged fonts...
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:02:37 -0700

I have Freetype running fine, allowing the use of TrueType
and PostScript fonts in our system fine.

But there is a higher level issue I've run into. All text
that we use is Unicode and can in theory call out for
Western, East European, and Asian characters. But few actual
fonts out there have all these kinds of characters in a
single font. If I have a string of text to display that can
have both English and Japanese in it, it seems to me
that I often won't be able to use a single font for it.
For a full-blown word processor, this may not be such a big
deal because the user can simply highlight the Japanese
text and manually select a font with Japanese characters
in it. But I need to have the app do this itself.

Three solutions come to mind:
   - Have the code that draws the text have a list of
     multiple fonts to use, in order of preference.
     Thus, if the primary font doesn't have the character
     I need, try the secondary font. etc. This solution
     is not very clean but is possible. The problem with
     it is that application-level code shouldn't have to
     fuss with font selection itself.

   - Have the font code provide the above multiple font
     support internally. Thus, my C++ Font class isn't
     necessarily tied to a single font file but also allows
     the specification of alternative fonts to use if the
     primary font doesn't have the needed character.
     This solution is clean from the application level,
     but makes gives the C++ Font class implementation
     some problems.

   - Somehow provide a font file that has all the needed
     characters in it. The problem with this is that we are
     using licensed font files from people like Monotype
     and I don't think we can go and alter fonts like that.

How do people solve this problem?