Re: why my font size is always smaller than the given size

From: Graham . Asher_at_symbian . com
Subject: Re: why my font size is always smaller than the given size
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:49:19 +0100

Mike,

I think what is happening is that you are measuring the height of a capital
letter or something like that and getting 67 pixels. The pixel size you set
is the 'design size' or 'em size' of the font, which is normally, but not
always, the distance from the top of the tallest ascender to the bottom of
the lowest descender, or in many fonts the height of a parenthesis - (, ),
[, ], etc.

Best regards

Graham Asher

                    "mingfa"

                    <address@hidden        To:     <address@hidden>

                    ta.net.cn>             cc:

                                           Subject:     why my font size is
always smaller than the given size
                    11/09/00 10:16

Dear Everyone,

I am trying using freetype on Win32,
and I got one funny thing, that is, the font size  displayed
is always a bit smaller than the given size. For  instance,

 TT_Set_Instance_Resolutions(instance,120,120);    //  120 is my LOGPIXELSY
//    TT_Set_Instance_PointSize(  instance, 100*72/120);
 TT_F26Dot6    pointSize;
 TT_Set_Instance_PixelSizes(instance,100,100,pointSize);

the given size is 100 pixels, but the size displayed on my  machine
is only about 67 pixels!

Does anyboay know why?

Regards,

Mike