Migration of the main FreeType site to SourceForge

From: David Turner
Subject: Migration of the main FreeType site to SourceForge
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:36:05 +0200

Hello,

  It seems that the server has been pretty heavily loaded lately, and
  I have a stack of bills for the last 4 months that have unpleasant
  "extra" charges for the bandwith. :-(

  I have the option of either paying more each month to go to substantially
  more bandwith, or moving the main FreeType site to SourceForge. As you
  probably understand, I'd really prefer the second solution.

  I'm ready to make the move now, and it shouldn't be difficult. I've
  been reluctant to take the "full" sourceforge route until now for reasons
  of flexibility, and because the latencies (web page downloads, CVS
  updates & commits, etc..) were absolutely disastrous on this side of
  the Atlantic when I tested them a bit more than 6 months ago. It seems
  that the situation has now greatly improved.

  This move would also greatly enhance our capabilities (with web-based
  mailing archives/subscription, bug trees, etc..)

  We would probably keep the current machine for keeping a CVS archive
  of the web pages, creating the current snapshots and uploading them
  automatically to the sourceforge space, etc..

  I would now like to know your opinion on the project. Also, this would
  mean that the core FreeType developers register themselves on
  SourceForge to be able to update the CVS tree.. I've already taken
  the "freetype" id, as you probably guessed :-)

  Also, what to do with the "freetype.org" domain remains to be seen. Can
  we redirect them easily to the corresponding source forge pages/ftp
  in particular.. ?

  Hope you'll appreciate the transition..

Cheers,

- David