Support for unencoded characters

From: White, Wesley A.
Subject: Support for unencoded characters
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:22:15 -0500

Hi all,

Question: Is anyone at freetype.org considering adding functionality that
allows encoding vector manipulation and convenient access to unencoded
characters?

For example, suppose I have a type-1 (or a truetype) that has an unencoded
character
with psname "smileface" that I would like to encode using charcode 128.

Something like the following would be useful:

/* Convert the PSName to a glyph_index (by looking it up in the
"standard_glyph_names"
   table, for type-1, or by consulting the POST table for truetype */

glyph_index = FT_PSName_To_GlyphIndex( face, "smileface");

/* This function modifies the currently selected charmap whatever its format
happens to be. */

FT_Encoding_Bind_Charcode(face, charcode, glyphindex);

/* Once encoding is set, proceed as usual */
glyph_index = FT_Get_Char_Index( face, charcode );
error = FT_Load_Glyph( face, glyph_index, load_flags );

Of course, there are other ways to accomplish the same
thing. Is freetype.org interested in this type of capability?

Wes