Re: Getting A Font's Name

From: James W. Walker
Subject: Re: Getting A Font's Name
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:13:07 -0800

"kevin schachter" <address@hidden> wrote:

I have used FreeType1 on my website wantedfonts.com to create sample screenshots interactively. I use PHP, GD and FreeType for this. One feature I need is the ability to get a fonts name from its ttf file. I have looked through the Font Documentation found on Adobe, Apple and Microsoft and have absolutely no clue. Is this feature built into FreeType? Sample code would be nice.

I just joined this list, and I don't really know much about FreeType, but I've been reading Apple's documentation about how to extract such information from a TrueType font. Which name do you want? The 'name' table may contain a PostScript name, a Mac font family name, and a "full" name, possibly with variants for different platforms, languages, and encodings. For instance if you're looking at the bold italic version of Palatino, I think the full name would be "Palatino Bold Italic", the family name would be "Palatino", and the PostScript name would be "Palatino-BoldItalic".
--
-- James W. Walker  <http://www.jwwalker.com/>