Using the FreeType 2.0 Polygon Rasterizer in a Graphics Package

From: Feinberg, Matthew
Subject: Using the FreeType 2.0 Polygon Rasterizer in a Graphics Package
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:37:18 -0500

The company I work for is developing a software package that (for
cross-platform consistency) draws all its own graphics primitives.  This
basically means that the software has a complete graphics package built
into it.

I've been thinking of using the FreeType 2.0 polygon rasterizer, since I
understand that it can be separated from the rest of the FreeType
library fairly easily.

What I want to know is:

1)  Has anyone done this before?
2)  FreeType 1.x rendered to temporary pixmap that had to be copied
(with alpha compositing) to the main pixmap.  Can FreeType 2.0 rasterize
directly to the main canvas?  If not, can it be modified to do so?  What
about handling different canvas types (RGB, indexed color, etc.)?  What
about raster operations (XOR, etc.)

Finally, if anyone would be interested in doing some coding in C on a
contract basis to hook FreeType 2.0 into our software's graphics
package, please contact me.

--
Matthew A. Feinberg
Lead Programmer