Re: ironic...

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: ironic...
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:11:33 -0500 (EST)

I am on the Open Type mailing list.  Here is a post that went through
today (in a thread I semi-started):

==

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:01:46 -0000
From: Christopher John Fynn <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Linux and OpenType [was: Whither OpenType]

Tom Kacvinsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> Interesting.  And disappointing, considering the open source
> nature of Linux.

The bogey that FreeType may infringe on some of Apple's
software patents was apparently first raised by Sampo Kaasila
who now works for Bitstream who are of course selling this
commercial library which does more or less the same thing
as FreeType. Although AFAIK Apple themselves have never
complained about FT - or made these patents an issue - this
seems to have been enough to scare quite a number of
developers away from FT - and, one guesses, into the arms
of Bitstream / Type Solutions.

Considering what some people have alleged in the past
- both about the origins of some of BT's fonts and their
font embedding solution - it seems rather ironic that
they are the ones raising the spectre of someone else's
(Apple's) patents.

- Chris

==