Re: hinting in True Type fonts

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: hinting in True Type fonts
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:27:00 +0100

At 8:07 PM -0500 12-02-2000, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
>Does anyone her know of a good program for making human readable code
>from hint instructions in True Type fonts?  It does not matter if the
>tool is Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX based.

TTX can disassemble instructions, but only to a *very* low level. It's
hardly useful. Still, if you want to play (ttDump.py is the program you
want):
  http://www.petr.nl/just/FontTools.tar.gz
(it's written in Python, and you might need to install a bunch of
additional stuff for it to run.)

>I have FontLab, Fontographer, and VTT.  Unfortunately, no one of these
>programs show existant hint instructions; they only show instructions
>that are added after the font is opened and edited.
>
>I am attempting to learn something about TT hinting for a project I am
>working on, and looking at good examples is one way of learning a lot
>about hinting.

VTT uses it's own higher level language, which is compiled to TT bytecode.
It's is not always possible to reverse that process. And that's a very
general thing, just like it's hardly possible to turn machine code into
useable C code.

Just