Implementing Skia OT-SVG hook bridge in ftinspect?

From: Charlie Jiang
Subject: Implementing Skia OT-SVG hook bridge in ftinspect?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:39:26 +0800

Hi Hin-Tak, Werner and other folks,

The recent posts from Hin-Tak provided us promising insights in implementing OT-SVG hook bridges in calling programs. I wonder if the current status of Skia hook is approriate for being incorporating into ftinspect. My considerations are:

- Maturity of bridge code (namely, skia-port.[ch]): Are they performing well enough for a (experimental) integration? Do they work stably across Skia versions? I'm seeing different patches for different Skia versions;

- Building Skia: Skia is built using tools (e.g. gn) completely different from what we're using for building ftinspect (CMake and Meson). I plan to not directly include the commands to build Skia into the ftinspect build system, but to ask user to provide Skia library paths. However, I'm concerned that Skia depends on (possibly another build of) freetype, which may cause conflict. Maybe Hin-Tak have some tips on handling this correctly?

If done, I plan to flag this feature as experimental and optional (default disabled, enable in build system). However, I may lack the resources and experise to test the code thoroughly, so I wonder if Hin-Tak could help.

BTW @Hin-Tak, The Qt6 support for ftinspect has almost completely not been worked on, I just wrote the conditional compilation (specifically, code about `QTextCodec`) because I learnt that `QTextCodec` was deprecated in Qt6, and that's the only part I've considered about Qt6. Therefore, further work is definitely required to ensure the whole program works on Qt6. Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
Charlie Jiang