Bug in rsvg+cairo hook with Nabla? (Re: another small patch for ft2-demo

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Bug in rsvg+cairo hook with Nabla? (Re: another small patch for ft2-demos, and other stuff.
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:31:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 07:02:50 BST, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> >  That fundamentally means it is not possible to switch the renderer
> > hook on a per current glyph level, keeping the current face?

>.I don't think so – who wants that except weird FreeType demo
> programs? :-)

> Moazin, please comment.

I have started on the colrv1 hook, and surprise, I seem to have found a problem with the rsvg/cairo-based hook with the Google Nabla color font.

This is a COLRv1 color font which also has a SVG table. Basically most of the COLRv1 demos Google folks blog about are with this font. I found that rsvg+cairo hook renders it B/W, but I had always assumed that Google ships an inferior SVG table, since the font is mainly for demo'ing COLRv1. Strangely enough, with the skia-based hook, I see the expected color look. I haven't even started on COLRv1 at all, this seems to suggest that the SVG in this font is a bit weird and/or rsvg+cairo can't handle it.

Anyway, for your purpose, you just need to know that another svg rendering hook can show color, but rsvg+cairo does not. I put the screenshots up at
https://github.com/HinTak/harfbuzz-python-demos/tree/master/skia-adventure , plus illustration on the pale edge pixels difference I mentioned earlier.

Back to COLRv1. (I should just remove the SVG table from Nabla to concentrate on the COLRv1 functionality...)