Re: Future of autotools

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Future of autotools
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:35:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Monday, 10 July 2023 at 20:05:58 GMT+8, Hugh McMaster <hugh.mcmaster@outlook.com> wrote:

> I've been preparing an update to the Debian package of FreeType and
> realised ftinspect is limited to the meson build system only. Debian,
> by default, has always used autotools.

> There are three build systems currently available for use in FreeType:
> autotools, cmake and meson. As I understand past discussions,
> autotools is the default (and fully supported).

> If ftinspect and, potentially, other software is not going to be built
> via autotools, is there a case to move to another build system?

That's a bit unsatisfactory. Personally I only use the autotools/make to build. Also as far as I know, last I heard there is(was?) a bug of ttdebug being mis-built by meson - it is missing a -DUNIX or something of that sort to control the command buffering. I sort of feel like raising it from time to time when the GSoC students are updating the build system "have a look at fixing that too..." but ultimately it sounds like dumping uninteresting/tedious work on young people.

I think Werner would respond at some point writing "patches welcome" for building ftinspect with autotools :-).