Re: ftbench update: make integrated

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: ftbench update: make integrated
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 07:58:34 +0000 (UTC)

> I thought you mean running make outside of the src/tools/ftbench
> file (as how older version works) by non-sourcedir builds. if you
> mean running from a seperate build directory, it is working now.

Thanks, will check that soon.

>> * changed .txts to font name and extension
>> * added another column that shows the difference in percent
>> * added warning message
>> * shorten commit id and linking to gitlab
>> * parameters and stuff are being printed once

Looks good!

As can been seen now, the differences vary up to 36% for exactly the
same commit, making the output completely meaningless, more or less.
Please improve that.  A possible solution could be to modify the
benchmark program itself: It should not report 'time per op' but
rather 'cumulative time per N iterations' so that you have access to
more precise values, which can then be used to get better percentages.

Another minor improvement might be to change the table design from

```
Test                    Baseline        Benchmark       Difference
Load                    5.48 us/op      4.90 us/op      10.61%
Load_Advances (Normal)  -5.65 us/op     -5.34 us/op     -5.40%
Load_Advances (Fast)    23.03 us/op     0.03 us/op      21.21%
```

```
Test                    Baseline  Benchmark  Difference
                        (µs/op)   (µs/op)    (%)
Load                     5.48       4.90     10.61
Load_Advances (Normal)  -5.65      -5.34     -5.40
Load_Advances (Fast)    23.03      23.03     21.21
```

or something similar, thus getting a more horizontally compact layout,
and to better align the numbers vertically.  BTW, I still miss the
sentence 'smaller values are better' (or a variation of it) somewhere
at the top.

Another peculiarity in your most recent example HTML page is that some
lines don't have a green field, but the percentage differs.  This is a
clear contradiction.

Finally (for today :-), I suggest that you embed a small CSS fragment
at the top of the page (using a `<style>` block) that takes care of
both the table layout and the various colour attributes, avoiding
inline styling (i.e., not using `<td style="...">` but rather `<td
class="...">`).

> 1) renaming bench.o to bench
> 2) multiple compiles of ftbench:
> [...]

You must not create the binary directly from the source file.
Instead, you have to create two rules, namely a rule to create the
object file, and another rule that links the object file to the final
binary.  For the object file creation you have to use `$(CC)`, and for
the final linking you should use `$(LIBTOOL) --mode=link` in normal
unix build mode, and `$(CC)` otherwise.  Have a look into the
`Makefile` of the 'freetype-demos' repository for more details.

    Werner