Re: ftview segfault on ArefRuqaaInk-Regular.ttf (one of google web fonts

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: ftview segfault on ArefRuqaaInk-Regular.ttf (one of google web fonts)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 01:34:08 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Werner and Alex,

You guys seem to be talking about something different than what I am experiencing? I found that it is "-l 1" (antializing) which is consuming a lot of memory then segfault. Any of 0,2-6 are fine, and all of them b/w (despite it being a colour font). Git head differs from 2.13 only in the zero(?) width glyphs as green vs red.

Doesn't colour font + antialiasing consumes 24 times more memory than 1-bit antialiasing?

Also found small bug / confusion in the man page - you talk about "render(ing) mode" 0 to 6, but in F1, "render mode" is 1 to 5 (all glyphs, strokes, given strings, water falls etc). What "-l" does is changing the lcd mode. What render mode in F1 partially corresponds to the -m command line switch.

Anyway, the segfault seems to be related to antialiasing, and it is probably also a bug that the other lcd modes does not show colour.
(I'd assume for colour fonts, the different lcd modes still differ at the edges, and some of the lcd modes might be redundant/meaningless?). Probably need another flag/switch for toggling glyf/cff/cff2 vs colours?

Hin-Tak