Re: GSoC 2023

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSoC 2023
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 04:08:24 +0000 (UTC)

>> One idea would be to develop a performance benchmarking suite of
>> various aspects of the library's functionality. I don't think
>> FreeType currently has one?
>>
>> For ideas, you can look look at HarfBuzz's here (which also
>> measure's FreeType):
>>
>>   https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/tree/main/perf
>>
>> We use google-benchmark library (C++) for this and have been very
>> happy with it.

Thanks, this idea is worthwhile to pursue with ...

> I apologize. I forgot about ftbench.

... `ftbench` :-) In other words, it would be helpful to set up a
Makefile target to do some standardized `ftbench` calls so that it is
possible to compare a baseline (say, a released version) against the
current git version.

Below is the text I've added to FreeType's GSoC page.

    Werner

Integrate ftbench into FreeType's build structure(s)

The `ftbench` demo program is a small tool that benchmarks the
performance of various FreeType library functions.  The aim of this
project is to integrate it into FreeType's build system(s) so that the
timings of a *baseline* (for example, a released version) can be
easily compared with the timings of the current git version.
Eventually, the results should be integrated into FreeType's CI as
provided by gitlab.

There are many approaches possible to accomplish the project.  For
example, the raw results emitted by `ftbench` could be post-processed
by a script to produce a nice-looking HTML page.  Another possibility
is to modify the `ftbench` program directly to emit HTML code.

Difficulty: medium.  Size: 175h/350h.  Requirements: C, Unix build
tools, meson, HTML.  Potential mentors: Werner Lemberg, Alexei
Podtelezhnikov, Toshiya Suzuki (FreeType).