GSoC 2022: Alternative Rendering Engines

From: Matsumura, George
Subject: GSoC 2022: Alternative Rendering Engines
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:07:25 -0400

Greetings,

I am an individual who would be interested in the project "Integrate FreeType with alternative rendering engines" listed on FreeType's GSoC page. There were multiple things in the blog post that the entry linked to that I found interesting/had questions about.

The blog post mentions "a large constant factor because it’s doing complicated exact-area calculations for each pixel" as a performance impediment when drawing into the accumulation buffer. If one were willing to settle for fewer gray levels in the resulting image, could something like multisampling be used to eliminate the need for these area calculations entirely, especially given that SIMD is already being used to exploit parallelism? I'm sure there's a reason why this isn't done, but if someone could enlighten me as to exactly why I would highly appreciate it.

I would assume the parsing efficiency improvements mentioned in the blog post wouldn't really be applicable to FreeType, as parsing in such a way would inhibit more complex intermediate processes such as hinting that font-rs doesn't seem to do. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Would use of SIMD entail an approach like that used by pixman, where hand-coded assembly is made for each SIMD instruction set extenstion? If so, which extentions would be pursued. I personally would love to try and learn to write optimized routines in assembly with less-used extensions like MMX or PowerPC AltiVec, but I was curious as to how relevant these platforms are viewed as.

About me, I am an undergraduate physics/engineering student at a mid-size university in the United States. I have made contributions to the Cairo vector graphics library before, although the part I contributed to is not widely used. I am hoping that at least some of this knowledge will be applicable to the task at hand.

I apologize for how behind I am in the proposal process. If it is still workable for me to submit a proposal this late, I very much look forward to learning more about and working with FreeType and its community. In any case, I am grateful for the effort taken to present this wonderful opportunity.

Regards,
    George