[ft-devel] GSoC 2019 Proposal: Adding support for OpenType SVG Colored F

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: [ft-devel] GSoC 2019 Proposal: Adding support for OpenType SVG Colored Fonts to FreeType
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 23:04:22 +0500

Hi Everyone!

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Moazin. I am an undergraduate engineering student from Pakistan. I have been programming in various languages and platforms for the past 8 years. I have worked in many areas. From programming microcontrollers in ARM assembly to creating web apps with Django and SPAs using ReactJS.

I'm applying for GSoC 2019. I would like to work on the idea, "Adding support for OpenType SVG Colored Fonts to FreeType". I would like to apologize for submitting the draft a little late. The official deadline is still away, but it would have been a lot better if I would've sent it earlier. I'm sorry for that. I hope you guys will still have time to review my proposal and write back to me with suggestions for improvement and questions.

To prepare for the proposal, I started with simply installing FreeType and using it. After I had accomplished rendering glyphs on a window. I created a debuggable build of FreeType and was able to successfully step into FreeType's internal code through gdb. After that, I spent around a whole day debugging FreeType as it loaded a font, loaded the glyph and ultimately rendered it. I was reading TrueType font specification simultaneously and using HexEdit to see for myself how the tables were stored and how FreeType was extracting them.  Since the project is to add OpenType SVG Multicolored fonts support to FreeType. I started reading the OpenType SVG specification. I downloaded a freely available OpenType SVG font called "Gilbert" and was able to extract out all of the SVG information manually using HexEdit and by following the structure specified by the specification. After doing all of this research, I strongly believe that I can successfully complete this project. My first draft of the proposal, which I have just submitted, highlights my planned timeline.

I request you guys to please write back with any possible feedback you might have. I would love to hear it and make the necessary modifications.

Thank you,
Moazin