Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:44:36 +0100 (CET)

>> ???  What do we break?  COLR/CPAL support will be *new* in 2.10.0,
>> it wasn't present in the 2.9.x series.  We don't plan to drop the
>> FT_PIXEL_MODE_RGBA mode that you've added for CBDT/CBLC/sbix
>> support.
>
> As long as adding FT_LOAD_COLOR will get COLR/CPAL glyphs rendered
> into the bitmap, cairo/Chrome will work fine and I have no problem
> with that.

This will work.  What Alexei is working on is a better representation
of coloured contours in FreeType.  To maintain backwards compatibility
we can't add a `color' field to `FT_Outline'; instead, we have to add
work-arounds...

> That said, my hunch is that the proposed change breaks glyphs with
> consecutive overlapping layers of same color, as the proposed change
> will render them in same go, mixing their winding numbers.

No, this won't happen.  Layers will still be rendered one after
another.

    Werner