Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: The Regents
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 02:40:21 +1000

Hi,

Let me start with a little bit about myself. I'm a font pendant. I hate fonts that are rendered badly... with a passion. If something looks awful I'm one of the first to complain (and often loudly). Over the years, since freetype's inception, I've added my own hacks etc etc to get something that I'm relatively comfortable viewing.

I haven't been happy with fonts on Linux since about 1994 -- and let's face it, back then fonts were crap everywhere, and I mostly used the terminal so it was a moot point.

Over the years since things started to improve slightly, I've used many tricks and hacks to make things look "ok" to me. Things that could not be done with normal freetype configuration. In the more recent years I've used "infinality" to tweak things but it's no longer maintained and I thought for awhile that I might have to continue that work myself.

But with the most recent freetype releases I am happy. Not 100% happy, but happy enough that I don't feel the need to spend time mucking around with source code and arcane invocations.

The reason I am writing this email is because I'd like to thank everyone involved in this project for their hard work. A big thank you. For the first time ever (on Linux) I look at the fonts rendered with freetype and I cannot really complain; they are nice. I can read them and look at them for hours without a headache, with minimal config changes. So, thanks to all involved for the hard work!

Regards