Re: [ft-devel] Revisiting LSB [1]

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Revisiting LSB [1]
Date: 08 Oct 2005 07:05:40 -0700

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 01:49, Ulrich wrote:
> Sure, but as long as FreeType deterministically produces its results
> depending on certain parameter settings (including the automatically
> detected environment) testing is still a matter of deciding whether these
> results are still the same compared to previously generated results.
>
> And like testing other software there has to be a decision by the
> implementor of the test suite which will be the correct results to use in
> the comparisions. Testing FreeType's rasterisation would require a set of
> rasterisation results probably stored in files that have been proven to be
> correct by human inspection.
My claim is that there is no single correct answer. There may be many
good solutions.

Perhaps with truetype, with the bytecode interpreter turned on there is
a deterministic process which should always produce the same answer.

But with the autohinter (or postscript hints) I do not believe this is
the case. Requiring such leaves no room for improvement of hinting.