freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:50:01 -0800

,----[ Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden> ]
| Al> I got a board that has register spacing, so 0xCA8 is the base KCS
| Al> address and 0xCAC is the status register.
|
| Al> Not really sure of the best way to handle this.  First, we probably
| Al> need the probing code to search for register spacing.  I'm not too
| Al> familiar with the probing, I'm only starting to look at this code.
|
| So - the code to get spacing exists in smbios.c but is commented out.
| It can certainly be uncommented; I'll try to test it on the Tiger4 over
| the weekend if I find time.
|
| I still don't know what to do about PCI (which is currently not being
| used).  Maybe I'l just add a "don't know" alternative to the spacing
| enum.  Have to look at pciutils again (that was the template for my PCI
| code).
`----

One of our major priority for next release is to get a variety of
hardware validated. Between SM-BIOS, ACPI and default values, I think
we will be able to cover a majority of them.  I would give ACPI more
priority than PCI probing.

ACPI approach:
"dev_acpi" project gives user-space device access to ACPI name space.
Author Alex Williamson <address@hidden>  is very much willing
to help us. Visit http://lwn.net/Articles/96324/