freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] Am confused: /usr/bin/poweroff command and FreeIPMI

From: anand . manian
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Am confused: /usr/bin/poweroff command and FreeIPMI
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:09:48 -0500

AB,

When you say  "...ipmipower tool has been obsoleted by FreeIPMI...", are you
referring to the the /usr/local/cli/dpccli  and /usr/local/cli/dpcproxy
programs..?

Am a little confused.. since the dpccli and dpcproxy do work perfectly at
this time for power on/off/reset control.

My question is with regards the standard shutdown command /usr/bin/poweroff
which is used on all Linux systems.. with or without IPMI based
motherboards. I have several desktops that do a graceful OS shutdown and
then kill power to disk and fans when /usr/bin/poweroff command is executed.

On the CDC systems however, /usr/bin/poweroff results in a OS shutdown (as
seen by following messages), after which the fan and disks remain powered
on.

==== SNIP ===
Sending all processes the TERM signal...
Sending all processes the KILL signal...
Syncing hardware clock to system time md:
Turning off swap:
Turning off quotas:
Unmounting file systems:
recovery thread got woken up ...
Halting system...
flushing ide devices: hde hdg
Power down.

Instead, I'd like for the CDC systems to be able to do a full power shutdown
as well (as in shutting off fan and disk) in response to /usr/bin/poweroff

Is this something you anticipate the FreeIPMI upgrade to achieve?

-ANand