freecats-dev

Re: [Freecats-Dev] FYI - Python & Open Office - pyUNO

From: Dan Urist
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] FYI - Python & Open Office - pyUNO
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:01:31 -0600

Sorry, I meant to send this to the list... unfortunately the messages I get from the list have "Reply-To" set to the original sender instead of the list.

Henri Chorand wrote:

There is a UNO module within OO, see at:

There are UNO bindings for python and java, but while the UNO bindings
are useful for large-scale OOo automation tasks, my understanding from
reading the mailing lists is that programming dialogs in them is quite
complex.

I think I read OO Basic was to be dropped, and that OO Basic documentation
was hard to find. Food for thought...

I certainly haven't seen any indication of this, and there is now some
decent Basic documentation. The online help included with OOo is
actually quite good. Also very good is the documentation at
http://www.pitonyak.org/

I don't especially like Basic as a language, it's very limited, but the
Basic IDE in OOo is seductively easy to use, especially for designing
dialogs.

One can argue endlessly about the merits of one language versus another,
and certainly there are some languages that are better suited to some
projects than others, but in the end no code gets written unless someone
is willing to struggle through some documentation and get their hands
dirty. Nobody today wants to code in assembler, but somebody used to do
it and it got people to the moon, among other things.

--
Daniel J. Urist
address@hidden