freecats-dev

Re: [Freecats-Dev] Abour Ruby

From: Dan Urist
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Abour Ruby
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:35:45 -0600

Python is a good language, and so is ruby, but if I could just put my plug in for perl...

Perl is mature; it's virtually unheard of for a new release to break older perl programs; it is also very well supported and has a very large user/developer base.

Perl runs everywhere.

Perl has very decent utf8 support.

Perl has an enormous library of code already written; take a look at http://search.cpan.org

Perl is a fantastic language for text processing-- perhaps not coincidentally, it's the only computer language I know of designed by a linguist :)

For a web-services server in particular, perl's SOAP::Lite module is very easy to scale up since it will run under apache.

Just my $.02 ...

Dan
--
Daniel J. Urist