freecats-dev

[Freecats-Dev] OOxlate - a (very simple) CAT tool for OpenOffice

From: Dan Urist
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] OOxlate - a (very simple) CAT tool for OpenOffice
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:09:16 -0600

I just stumbled across this list a couple of days ago. The TM server sounds like a great project, and I'd love to contribute in any way I can. My background is mostly Perl, but lately I've been playing around with OpenOffice a fair bit.

I've been working on a very simple CAT tool in OpenOffice Basic as a pet project for my wife, who is a freelance French->English translator and interpreter. I should point out that I am NOT in any way an expert on translation software (in fact, I'm pretty much monolingual), and that this software is crude, simplistic, shamefully badly written (at least the Basic part; there's a perl backend as well) and is currently alpha quality... but it mostly works, as far as it goes, and the design dovetails with the client/server architecture that's been discussed on this list. It currently runs on Linux (which is all I have to test on), but should run on windows with a little bit of tweaking. If anyone wants to give it a look, you can get it from http://translatewrite.com

Dan
--
Daniel J. Urist
address@hidden