fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth questions: 2.0.5 release / threading

From: Stefan Westerfeld
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth questions: 2.0.5 release / threading
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 10:41:34 +0200

   Hi!

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 09:27:35AM +0200, Tom M. wrote:
> > Another question I have is related to threading. I'd like to use two
> > fluid_synth_t* instances in two different threads with two different
> > soundfonts to render two different midi tracks. I'm assuming that I can
> > call fluid_synth_process() independently on these two instances from two
> > threads and they will not interfere in any way, right?
>
> Yes. Each synth has it's own mutex, which is used if the setting
> "synth.threadsafe-api" is true (the default). Apart from that all synths
> share a sample cache as global ressource, which is always mutex protected.

All right, I didn't even know that there is a sample cache so far. Suppose I
load the same huge soundfont into two different fluid_synth_t objects. Will
that double my memory usage?

And how is the situation if that soundfont was loaded from memory?

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan