fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Bpm

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Bpm
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 18:06:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

>Hey! Is there no option to set/edit the tempo of a midi file before rendering it?

Although FluidSynth has simple "MIDI File player" functionality and "MIDI sequencer" functionalities, it doesn't have MIDI File editing functionality.

This is because MIDI file edititing is a job completely different than synthezising sound which is the basic goal of fluidsynth.

You should rely on other software to do MIDI file message editing. Tempo change is done via "meta MIDI message tempo".

This message carries a tempo value (number of microseconds by quarter note).

When the tempo of the song need to be constant, it's easy:

1) One need to edit only one message.

2) The file should be preferably of MIDI type 2. (i.e multiple tracks played simultaneously).

3) The unique tempo changes message must be set at the beginning on track 0 (which is a dedicated track for tempo changes among others things).

When the tempo of song changes over time, it's a bit tricky:

1) One need to edit multiple tempo change messages at approriate time (always on track 0).

>If this function does not exist, can it be developed?
May be one thing feasable and useful would be to have FluidSynth working in 2 tempo modes (external/internal):
1)In tempo mode "external" (default), fluidsynth reads tempo messages coming from the MIDI file.
2)In tempo mode "internal", fluidsynth reads the tempo value set internally by the user (i.e MIDI tempo messages coming from the MIDI file are skipped).
In tempo mode internal, tempo value should be expressed in "number of quarter notes per minute" with fractional value to keep a perceptible musical sense.

Please, did you have use cases others than changing tempo of rendered MIDI File ?
jjc.
> Message du 01/04/19 17:06
> De : "Alicia Kindervater" <address@hidden>
> A : "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Copie à :
> Objet : [fluid-dev] Bpm

mailto:fluid
Hey! Is there no option to set/edit the tempo of a midi file before rendering it?

If this function does not exist, can it be developed?

Cheers
Alicia

Element Green <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo. 1. Apr. 2019 um 01:58:

I'm not sure off hand. You may want to post your question to the fluid-dev mailing list.

Best regards,

Element Green

From: Alicia