fluid-dev

[fluid-dev] Stereo sample references in soundfont files

From: Turner Hayes
Subject: [fluid-dev] Stereo sample references in soundfont files
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 12:03:17 +0100

Hi all,

Perhaps a newbie question; I'm trying to render samples from a Soundfont file (I'm using FluidSynth's GM soundfont mainly) in Javascript (I have my reasons, heh). I've got mono samples working fine, but I'm a little confused about how stereo sample works; I notice that all samples marked as "left sample" or "right sample" have a sampleLink field value in the sample header of 0, which clearly can't be right (I note that the spec says that value should be the index of the corresponding sample--i.e. the right sample for a left sample, or vice versa). Looking at the FluidSynth code, I note that it simply skips the sampleLink field entirely.

I'm inferring from that that, despite the spec, the sampleLink field is not actually used in practice. What I'm trying to figure out is, what *is* actually used? Say I'm looking at a leftSample; how do I find its corresponding rightSample?

Thanks,

Turner