fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Not having much luck with your initial examples.

From: Bob Gustafson
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Not having much luck with your initial examples.
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 11:39:41 -0600

Hi Nick

Yes, 'incomplete' is a charitable description.

I have zit knowledge of python. Perhaps this has been accidental good luck. My favorite languages over the decades have been Fortransit, Pascal, Ruby, and lately Nim.

Using your linked example ('Getting Started'..), starting with the first code line:

   >>> from fabric import Connection

There seems to be a lot that is assumed to have been done by the reader. The >>> probably means that the reader has already typed 'python' to jump into an interactive Python session, but this is not mentioned.

Also, just typing 'python' is not sufficient, as the following lines may not work under Python 2.7 or Python 3.7. Which Python is invoked depends on what has been typed before.

Also, 'fabric' is used in the code line. This library must have been loaded or the line will not work. Again, loading fabric beforehand is not mentioned. Also 'fabric' comes in several versions <2, 2, and a version not recommended - 3.

I see from the libraries, and my experience with Sage, that lots of good things have been done with Python. However, the state of python documentation available on the internet leaves a lot unsaid. Perhaps it is all a game to get new users to buy a subscription to Tidelift.

At this point, for me, coding up 'expect' and fabric in Nim seems easier than continuing this frustration.

Best regards

Bob G