emacs-tangents

Re: Why is `nreverse' called `nreverse'?

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Why is `nreverse' called `nreverse'?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 07:32:48 +0100

The N- prefix for destructive functions is indeed present in Common
Lisp, but it goes further back than that. It is so in Maclisp, which
both Common Lisp and GNU Emacs Lisp have taken a lot from.
(If it also existed in lisps prior to Maclisp I don't know.) Pitman's
"The Revised Maclisp Manual" doesn't explain the N-. I guess it may
have come from NCONC.