emacs-tangents

Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:33:37 +0000

On Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 07:05, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> How many do people have, for it to get slow?

It's not just the number of groups etc. but also what servers you need
to access.  The latter is not specifically an issue with gnus in that
any other MUA would suffer as well; the problem is that if gnus is
taking a long time retrieving emails, I cannot do anything else in the
meantime.  Emacs is my window manager... and single threaded.

An aside: gnus' nnmaildir implementation is *very* slow under some
circumstances, to do with having to resequence all the articles in a
group.  But nnml is very good generally.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-08-14) on Debian 12.1