emacs-tangents

Re: Continuous scroll for pdf-tools

From: Rahguzar
Subject: Re: Continuous scroll for pdf-tools
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 21:10:31 +0200

Hi Peter,

Peter Mao <peter.mao@gmail.com> writes:

> Rahguzar -- are you going to be making pull-requests to the upstream
> repos? I notice that you are a fork of a fork of the "official"
> pdf-tools repo (vedang/pdf-tools), and your code has diverged
> significantly from vedang/pdf-tools (96 ahead/44 behind). Since
> vedang/pdf-tools is under active maintainership, I think the best
> course of action is to make a PR (or a series of PRs, as it looks like
> you've done a **lot** of work on this feature).

The reason that it is a fork of a fork is that once upon a time I
was using a feature from that fork which has a pull-request waiting to
be merged into vedang/pdf-tools. When I switched to Daniel Nicolai's
fork, I just rebased on top of that which looking back now is
unfortunate. You can probably tell I am not too familiar with git and
also not a software developer by trade. I have made changes to quite
a few places in the pdf-tools repo but what you see at first glance
vastly overstates them. By my estimation the changes for this feature
come to about 700 lines and probably a majority of them were by Daniel
Nicolai. In fact, although I fixed issues I had with pdf-tools when
using continuous scroll, I think I made more extensive changes to
image-roll than to pdf-tools.

For that reason I will like Daniel Nicolai to chime in about PR to
pdf-tools first and I opened an issue about changes to image-roll on his
repository. In any case the changes to pdf-tools are extensive but still
probably incomplete. Most likely there are features that break but I
haven't come across. As a result I think a pr to pdf-tools will take a
long time to review and merge. For a short term solution I think it
might be worthwhile to package the changes to pdf-tools as advices, this
will duplicate quite a lot of code but will allow people to test this
feature more easily with upstream pdf-tools. I don't have bandwidth to
take this on but if someone wants to try this, they are welcome.

Rahguzar