emacs-tangents

Re: Too few people taking care of bug reports,

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Too few people taking care of bug reports,
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 23:03:48 +0200

On 11/11/2015 10:50 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

The upcoming clarifications on ELPA policy may well lead to reducing the
surface area of primary Emacs development. This will serve to focus the bug
load of what is "core", although we'll still be maintaining some of the ELPA
packages that don't have their own dedicated maintainers.

Still, though, the bug reports for ELPA packages that don't have any other upstream are supposed to go into the Emacs bug tracker anyway.

It's not like upon moving a package to ELPA, we can immediately declare it obsolete. Right?

I very much agree with this. I have used many, _many_ bug trackers in the
past, but I'm finding that debbugs is inhibiting my ability to interact
conveniently with our bug database. It's hard to search for what I'm looking

It's also slooow.

for, it's hard to navigate the bug tracker from within Emacs (is it just me,
or is debbugs.el kind of terrible?),

No comments.

and unless I'm missing something, I can't
edit a bug after I've found it through the web interface: I have to go to my
mail reader in order to make changes to the bug via e-mail.

It has an email interface, and a SOAP interface (sigh).

It could also be that I just haven't discovered all of the tricks that Eli
might know. Is there any documentation I should be reading beyond what's on
the GNU bug tracker page?

debbugs.el has a feature like sending control messages to the bug tracker, which allows to close/unclose/merge bugs, etc. I've been able to do something useful with it once or twice.